Sunday, March 23, 2014

Food, Glorious Food!

I've always tried to eat well and eat healthy.  I stay away from processed foods and eat as fresh as possible.

We have a farm where we get a cow that's been grass fed and that is our beef for the year.  I have a meat market I go to for free range chicken and fresh seafood, but I haven't really found a great place for vegetables.

I used to go to a Farmer's Market every Saturday, but there is only so much you can do with Kale!  Also, it seemed very expensive.  Mainly I purchased my vegetables from the grocery store, but I was very picky.

Then, a friend of mine told me about Bountiful Baskets.  They are all over the U.S. so go to their site and find the one nearest you!  You don't really know what you're going to get every other week, but so far I have been very happy!  For $15.00 I got probably about $50 plus in veggies and fruits!  They also have an organic basket for $10.00 more.  I've purchased the organic basket and the conventional basket and I'm happy with the conventional.  Plenty of fruits and veggies to last for a couple of weeks.   They also have options to buy other things such as pounds of asparagus, oranges, tropical fruit, organic bread, etc.

I had two baskets full of bananas, apples, pears, tomatoes, potatoes, pineapple, celery, lettuce, strawberries, baby bok choy, mushrooms and red bell peppers.
So many veggies and fruit!

I have no excuse not to eat fruit!  The apples are very good and I have been impressed by all the other vegetables.  Every night, we have a great home cooked meal!

Here's a recipe for what I recently made using the Bok Choy.


Stir Fried Bok Choy with Noodles and Shrimp - Makes 1 Serving
from The Eat Clean Diet p.224

Ingredients:
1oz whole grain angel hair pasta
1 tbsp  Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
2 Tbsp dry Sherry
1tsp minced ginger (from the co-op)
2tsp olive oil
14oz bok choy, sliced (from the co-op)
4oz shitake mushrooms, thickly sliced (I used the mushrooms I got from the co-op)
4 oz shrimp
2 spring onions, sliced

Instructions:

Cook pasta in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 5 minutes.  Drain well and set aside.  Mix soy and teriyaki sauces, sherry and ginger in a small bowl.  Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok.  Add bok choy, mushrooms and shrimp and stir fry for 2 minutes or until shrimp is cooked.  Pour in the sauce add the pasta and sir fry for a further 2 minutes.  Add spring onions, mix well and serve.

This is something I'm definitely going to continue doing.  The vegetables and fruits are delicious and I get to keep eating healthy!


An apple a day!



No comments:

Post a Comment